Before hair transplant operation, Hair transplantation is not a simple procedure. Like all surgical procedures, you should follow some steps before the operation. Therefore, it is very important to follow your doctor’s recommendations before and after the hair transplantation.
There are some points to take into consideration before hair transplant to get more successful results.
- Do your research well about the clinic, experience of the doctors and the tools they use. Once you select a reputable clinic with capable hands, asks them to inform you about the process. It will reduce your stress to a great extent.
- Do a price search. Private health insurances do not usually cover aesthetic surgeries. However, if hair loss occurs after burns or trauma, it can be under the circumstance of reconstructive treatment. Therefore health insurance covers it. Before starting treatment, ask your doctor for extra fees.
- Start to massage your head approximately two to four weeks before surgery. Do this for a minimum of 10 and a maximum of 30 minutes each day. This process accelerates blood circulation in the region and softens your skin.
- If you drink alcoholic beverages, you should stop drinking at least one week before the surgery as they have a blood-thinning effect. Smoking is also strictly forbidden before and during the operation because of the nicotine. Caffeinated drinks also may adversely affect the course of operation.
- You should stop taking blood thinner pills such as aspirin one week before the operation. Discontinue other multivitamin preparations and vitamin pills as well. They may increase bleeding.
- You should inform your hair surgeon and clinic about your medical history and the medications you regularly take. If you are over a certain age, some clinics may ask you to take a few tests. You may also need a blood test.
- One week before the operation, we recommend you to stop doing cardio exercises and any kind of physical activities.
During And a Day Before the Surgery
- Depending on the degree of hair loss, you may need to take medication before surgery. This may not be necessary in case of hill area transplant. Ask for antibiotics before the operation.
- Do not cut your hair before the operation. Hair follicles should be long enough for doctors to collect.
- One of the most important points is to stop using chemical products except for shampoo. The products you should stay away from are lotions, gel, and conditioner. You should wash your hair before the operation to get rid of the dirt and local medicines.
- Doctors recommend loose clothes with garment during the operation. It is important to have clothes with buttons and zipper as you can take them on and off easily.
- You may eat and drink something before the operation as it lasts for almost 8 hours. Its is important to feel full for stable blood pressure.
- During the operation, you can’t have a companion with you usually. If you bring someone, they can wait in the waiting room. As this is a serious surgery, visitors should be silent in the clinic.