Hair Medications vs Hair Transplants
People who have hair loss complaints should first learn whether there is a health problem that causes hair loss by going through a health examination. If health problems that may lead to hair loss—such as vitamin and mineral deficiencies and hormonal problems are detected—this problem should be treated first.
If the hair loss continues after the nonsurgical treatments or if you have severe hair loss, hair transplant is the best option for you. However, there are some medications you can use to treat the hair loss problem. These medications may have side effects.
- Minoxidil. Among the drugs used in women with genetic-type hair loss, minoxidil 2% form takes the first place. It is recommended to use this two times a day. As a result of the use of minoxidil, hair loss stops in about 60% of women.
The fact is that within only five to six months of using minoxidil, hair thickening begins. And the effect continues as long as this period. When you stop taking medicine, though, you may experience hair loss again.
- Spironolactone. It is a diuretic with anti-androgenic properties, and it is a blood pressure medicine. Spironolactone enters the androgen receptors in hair follicles and prevents androgen thinning in the hair by blocking the androgen hormones from affecting the root of the hair.
- Birth control pills and other anti-androgens. Birth control pills containing estradiol can be used in female hair loss as they have an effect similar to spironolactone.
FDA-approved drugs that prevent hair loss and thicken existing hair should be used under the supervision of a physician. Drug treatment may be useful in areas where the hair is thin and weak to moderate hair loss.
Drug treatment has little or no effect on total hair loss in the anterior and upper parts of the head. In complete hair loss, hair follicles die and cannot produce new hair. At this stage, hair transplant operations are the best options to regain your healthy hair.
In practice, the hair follicles are usually taken from the neck and planted to the target area. The treatment takes place in a few hours, depending on the amount of hair loss. The patient is usually under local anaesthesia or sedation. He does not have to wait in the hair transplant centre after the procedure. There are two methods for a healthy hair transplant.
- FUE method is an innovative application technique in hair transplant. It includes the use of micromotors with 0.6–0.7 mm tips. Therefore, it leaves almost no trace on the donor area and leads to a relatively more comfortable healing period.
- DHI method refers to collecting the grafts with special needles and placing them in the target area with the same needle within 1–2 minutes. It enables us to perform unshaven hair transplant operations.
Hair transplant is the most natural and permanent way to gain new hair. As the donor area is resistant to shedding, you can have lasting solutions. Here at esteGrande, we offer impressive results with our experienced team.