Baldness is a state of lack of hair on our heads. Baldness may indicate a disease or may be due to genetic factors, age, or androgen hormones. The most common condition of baldness is known as male pattern baldness. The medical name is androgenic alopecia. Androgenic alopecia can be seen in both men and women. In women, the hair becomes sparser and thinner instead of a complete loss. About 70 per cent of men and 40 per cent of women experience this type of baldness at some point in their lives.
On the other hand, not every human scalp has the same number and distribution of androgen receptors. For this reason, some people become bald at a young age, while others can protect their bushy hair until the last stages of life.
Hair grows throughout the stages of human life. The hair follicles undergo a periodic development. The active growth phase (anagen phase) is first observed. This is followed by a regression period (catagen phase). Immediately after the rest period, the telogen phase is seen. The anagen phase lasts typically three years, and the telogen phase lasts only one hundred days.
Temporary Hair Loss
Our hair renews itself by shedding the old ones and growing new ones in their place. However, sometimes the number of shedding may exceed eighty to one hundred strands per day, which is what is considered scientifically normal.
There are cases where hair loss is temporary, and it spontaneously recovers within four to six months.
The following are the reasons for temporary hair loss:
- Surgery, high dose and frequent use of antibiotics, anaemia, birth, and miscarriage
- Poor, protein-deficient diet and malnutrition
- Blood pressure, epilepsy, cholesterol, hormone replacement, and acne medications, antidepressants, and birth control pills
- Stressful events such as preparation for the exam
- Physically challenging work, sleepless nights
These are the temporary cases where we observe hair loss. This hair loss type is different from the male pattern baldness.
What to Remember about Hair Loss
According to data from Egypt, it is estimated that people have been looking for a remedy for baldness for nearly five thousand years. Hair loss is observed in approximately 70 per cent of men and 40 per cent of women due to ageing. On the other hand, the secret of whether our hair will fall or not is hidden in our genes.
- When daily hair loss increases, we should evaluate the physical changes in our body.
- In case of hair loss lasting longer than six months, we must get the help of an expert. The cause must be well-defined in order to combat hair loss. We should remember that a detailed medical examination and medical assistance may be required.
- Hair is fed from the inside and supported from the outside. We need to know that care for hair health, as well as body health, makes a difference.
If you are suffering from baldness, you can get in touch with us to have detailed information about a hair transplant. It is a permanent treatment for hair loss of all types. At esteGrande, we are waiting to assist you with our expert team. esteGrande Instagram