The Causes of Smelly Hair Syndrome
Smelly Hair Syndrome is usually seen among the people who have oily skins. If you have oily skin, this means that your scalp is oily as well. Studies show us that oily scalps are better environments for fungus to grow. So, the main cause of having smelly hair is the bacterial activities on your scalp.
We all have bacterias on our scalps. However, bacterias can multiply easily on oily scalps, and this causes bad odours. But you might be wondering why you didn’t have this condition before.
Well, if your scalp is more oily than normal than that should be the reason why you didn’t have this before. Not washing your hair for long periods can be the main cause of why your scalp is extra oily. But there are some other causes for having an extra oily scalp. These include:
- Hormonal imbalances
- Conditions such as dandruff, psoriasis, seborrheic dermatitis, etc.
- Air pollution
- Too much sweating
How Can You Treat Smelly Hair Syndrome at Home?
There are some natural home remedies that can help you get rid of the bad smells coming from your scalp.
- This might seem contradictory, but you can use essential oils as a way to treat this condition. Neem oil and tea tree oil both have antimicrobial features. They can help you get rid of the fungus on top of your head. They also smell pleasant and fresh.
- Garlic oil is another substance that you can use. But it doesn’t smell as nice as the other two. However, garlic oil is an antibacterial and antifungal compound. It is a very effective substance that also stimulates hair growth. Yet, you should be aware that it might irritate your scalp after application.
- You can also apply tomato juice to your scalp. Tomatoes also have antibacterial properties.
- Apple cider vinegar is effective against bacteria too.
- Baking soda also has antibacterial properties.
- Finally, lemon juice can be very helpful too. It has antibacterial features, and it is also effective against dandruff.
All of these substances are effective against SHS. You can apply the one you choose into your scalp twice a week. Just leave it on your scalp for half an hour and wash it off with plain water.
Try to wash your hair regularly and keep the oil levels on your scalp balanced. You can get rid of this issue easily if you follow these bits of advice.